Coventry, naval art prints of HMS Coventry by leading naval artists.
Coventry built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend was initially going to be called
HMS Corsair. and laid down o the 4th August 1916, and launched 6th July
1917 completed for naval service in February 1918. HMS Coventry
joined the 5th Light Cruiser squadron in February 1918 till May
1919, and served in the Baltic in this time. Commissioned in may 1919 into
the Atlantic fleet, until in 1920 when HMS Coventry became the HQ ship for
naval Inter allied Disarmament Commission. Went into refit in late
1920 once completed she joined the 2nd Light cruiser squadron and flagship
to the Rear admiral Atlantic Fleet. A Torpedo Explosion while in Malta in
March1923 caused the death of two crew. At the outbreak of world war
two HMS Coventry was serving with the Home Fleet between 1939 and 1940,
moving to the Mediterranean fleet in 1940 until being sunk off Tobruk on
the 14th September 1942 by German and Italian aircraft.
4,190 tons Speed: 29kt Complement: 400
increasing to 437 as a Flagship.
Ten 4 inch anti-aircraft guns,
sixteen 2pdr anti-aircraft guns. eight 0.5 inch machine gun