|Massive savings on this month's big offers including our BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE offer on many prints and many others at HALF PRICE or with FREE PRINTS! |
Many of our offers end in 9 hours, 52 minutes!
View our Special Offers
Scrapped at Faslane, Scotland in August 1948.
HMS Renown was a battlecruiser built at Fairfield and re-engined at Cammell Laird. She was launched on the 4th of March 1916. Between the wars HMS Renown had a major refit at Portsmouth from May 1923 to August 1926. She had her belt armour increased using the plate armour intended for the Chilean battleship Almirante Cochrane. Her horizontal armour was increased from 1-inch to 1.5 inch. HMS Renown served in all major theatres during world war two. During September 1939 she served in the North Sea and during October 1939 took part in the search for the German surface raiders Admiral Graf Spee and Deutschland. During August 1940 the Renown exchanged fire with the German battlecruisers Gneisenau and Scharnhorst but only received slight damage. During the rest of 1940 and 1941 HMS Renown served with Force H. Renown also took part in the pursuit of the Bismarck, during May 1941. During November 1942 she supported the Allied landing in North Africa. During early 1944 HMS Renown joined the British eastern Fleet supporting the carrier raids, and also the bombarding of Surabaya. At Durban she had a refit and then returned to home water in March 1945. Due to her poor condition HMS renown was put into reserve and was finally scrapped at Faslane, Scotland on August 1948.
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax:
(+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: